The Rockcastle County Basic Arts Program is a comprehensive initiative that includes academic instruction in the areas of music, dance, drama, and visual arts. The program was originally launched in 1989 with grant funding and included only the fundamentals of music and visual arts, but has expanded to its current status over the years and is currently sustained with funding from the local district. Instruction in the arts is based on a district curriculum aligned with state standards and is nationally recognized by the President’s Committee for Arts & Humanities.
Instruction is implemented by staff at each school throughout the academic year.
Programs and arts-based activities include:
- Parent/Student Arts Nights
- Arts and Humanities Observance—October
- Youth Art Month Observance—March
- High School and Middle School Touring Theatres
- Kentucky Music Hall of Fame & Museum Partnership
- UNITE Presents (anti-drug and character-building performances)
- High School Athletes’ “Rocket Readers” Literacy Initiative
- Public Library Preschool Partnership