We at UNITE are excited to announce continuation of the “I Am UNITE” Scholarship for the 2016-17 school year. This $1,500 need-based scholarship will be provided to a minimum of 20 high school seniors in our region to be used for post-secondary education expenses. These seniors must be a current or former member of a school-based UNITE Club or have attended Camp UNITE as either a camper or Team Leader.
Camp UNITE serves students in 32 counties in southern and eastern Kentucky; therefore, it is highly likely that you have students who have been involved with a UNITE Club or Camp UNITE. If you do not currently have a UNITE Club at your school I encourage you to start one. Clubs must be registered by January 20, 2017 to be eligible for funding. Clubs can receive reimbursements up to $500 per school year for anti-drug activities and must have an adult sponsor. These clubs do a wonderful job spreading the anti-drug message, encouraging positive lifestyle behaviors, and giving back through community service.
Linked below is a copy of the Scholarship application, along with a detailed information sheet for your review. This application is also available on UNITE’s website. Please disseminate to your Camp UNITE attendees and UNITE Club members. Note that all applications must be returned no later than March 17, 2017 so that winners can be announced at your school’s Senior Awards Day program. Scholarship winners will be determined using the following criteria:
- Submit a completed application form.
- Past or current involvement in a UNITE Club or Camp UNITE.
- Submit an essay (500 words or less) explaining how the student has benefitted from their involvement with UNITE.
- Have a GPA of at least 2.75 (unweighted) or 3.75 (weighted).
- Community or other Volunteer service work.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation, one from a school employee and one from a community member.
- Provide a copy of their unofficial transcript.
- Attend school in one of the 32 counties served by Operation UNITE.
In addition to scholarship awards, Operation UNITE will provide high school seniors, who meet the Volunteer Service and GPA requirements, a letter of recommendation to the post-secondary institution of their choice and a commemorative certificate inducting them as a “UNITE Ambassador.”
If you have any questions, please contact Shawna Ping, Staff Accountant, at 606-677-6179 or email@example.com.