“Lots 2 Love” during #NSLW18
To recognize the National School Lunch Program and the 2,900 children we serve each day, Rockcastle County Schools will recognize National School Lunch Week from October 15-19, 2018. The theme, “Lots 2 Love,” encourages students and school nutrition professionals across the country to share what they love most about school lunch programs.
Our lunch program offers nutritious, tasty food each day and best of all, it’s FREE to all students in Rockcastle County.
Did you know?
- Rockcastle County Schools serve about 47,000 lunches monthly
- Rockcastle County Schools serve about 44,000 breakfasts monthly
- Mt. Vernon Elementary, Rockcastle County Middle School and Rockcastle County High School serve Second Chance Breakfast, allowing students to pick-up breakfast after their first period class
- Freshly made chef salads are offered daily at all schools, accounting for about 15-20% of lunches served
- A couple of our students favorite lunch days are popcorn chicken and chicken noodle soup with grilled cheese sandwiches
The federally-funded National School Lunch Program (NSLP) has been serving the nation’s children for more than 70 years, requires school meals to meet federal nutrition standards like offering fruits and vegetables every day, serving whole grain-rich foods, and limiting fat, calories, and sodium.
The “Lots 2 Love” campaign is made possible by the nonprofit School Nutrition Association. Parents and students can follow the fun using the hashtags #NSLW18, #SchoolLunch, and #Lots2Love. For more information on the National School Lunch Program, visit http://rockcastle.kyschools.us/food-service/ or https://schoolnutrition.org/nslw/.
We feed Rockcastle County’s future!