To our Rockcastle County Schools Community,
As the semester ends and I reflect upon the last several months, I continue to be amazed by the level of collaboration between our school community, our families, and our students. Thank you parents, guardians, and students for navigating through this global pandemic as our partner. Thank you for your confidence in and support of Rockcastle County Schools as we have worked so hard to educate, feed, and support our students. While his semester has not been free of difficulty, we can all be proud of the commitment we have made to ensuring the wellbeing of our students is our top priority.
I know that our community is anxiously waiting for an announcement regarding return to school in January and I am elated to report that the new state guidance released by Governor Andy Beshear earlier this week allows us to resume in person instruction in January. Due to the holiday break and the potential for an increase in COVID 19 cases following holiday gatherings, we plan to resume on Monday, January 5th with Virtual Learning for all students. We will begin our new district wide hybrid A/B schedule the following week, Monday January 11, 2021. After reviewing the documents that were released to Superintendents by the Kentucky Department of Education and the Department for Public Health, I feel confident that Rockcastle County Schools has been and will continue to implement the safety precautions that are required as part of the “Healthy at School” guidance document.
As we approach the beginning of our Winter Break, we have received updated guidance and recommendations from state and local health officials regarding our return to school in January. Based on this guidance, along with the Governor’s mandates, Rockcastle County Schools would like to share the following updated schedule for your convenience and planning:
- December 21-January 3rd: Winter Break: No school will be in session.
- January 4th: Professional Development for teachers. No school will be in session.
- January 5th -8th: NTI or Virtual Learning from home.
- January 11th: Begin Hybrid/AB Schedule Districtwide. Students will attend in person on alternating days. Contact your child’s school if you have questions.
During the week of January 4th-8th, meals will be prepared and delivered to our community feeding sites throughout the county. Our thoughts and prayers are with each of you as we continue to weather the storm of this pandemic during this holiday season. Please take care and stay safe until we can be together in person in January!
A/B Schedule Beginning January 11, 2021
- Mondays and Wednesdays (RED): Students with last name beginning A-L will attend in person.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (BLUE): Students with last name beginning M-Z will attend in person.
- School staff will work to schedule households together so that they may attend in person learning on the same day.
- On those days that students are NOT in person, they will learn at home and will complete lessons assigned by their teacher in Google classroom.
- On Fridays, all students will be on an NTI schedule and will learn from home.
- Students will receive shelf stable meals on the days they are at school to take home for the following day. Rocket Refuel community feeding sites will operate on Friday NTI days.
We appreciate your continued patience and flexibility as we make these adjustments to better serve our students and keep our community safe. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.