The RCMS Academic Team won the Region 16 Championship for only the second time in school history this past Saturday by placing first in Quick Recall, Arts and Humanities, Social Studies, and Science. The team will move on to the State Finals in March that will be held in Louisville. The following students placed in individual Written Assessment and will be competing in their subjects at the State Finals as well.
- Ashley Brenda placed third in Language Arts.
- Bailey Cromer placed third in Social Studies.
- Elizabeth Mikeworth placed first in Science, becoming the first student in school history to do so at Region.
- Joe Pickle placed first in Social Studies and third in Science becoming the first sixth grader in school history to advance to the State Finals in two subjects.
- Ellie Robinson placed first in Arts and Humanities with the eighth-highest score in the state on the exam.
- Team Captain, Audrey Childress placed second in Language Arts with the fourth-highest score in the state on that exam.
Pictured along with the team are a few of the over twenty RCHS student-coaches who have worked with the team since August preparing for State by teaching classes, tutoring, and officiating matches. These student-coaches have volunteered a combined over 500 hours with the team during the current school year.
The team now begins to prepare for the State Finals in March.