Part of the mission of education is to prepare students for the transition from school to work and life beyond the classroom. A strong work ethic is essential to our students to succeed in life after high school.
Rockcastle County High School, in cooperation with local business, industry and our Board of Education, has developed the Work Ethics Seal Program. This program has specific criteria to identify students whose hard work, good attendance, dedication to their school and community, and extracurricular activities set them apart from the rest.
Students receiving the Work Ethics Seal should have an advantage when seeking employment, as it easily identifies potential employees with a demonstrated work ethic. Listed on college applications, it shows that student has learned the value of active participation in school, and identifies the student as one who will regularly attend class and work hard at their education. Students earning a Work Ethics Seal will wear a special cord at graduation and have the Work Ethics Seal affixed to their diplomas.
A student’s participation in the Work Ethics Seal Program is voluntary and the pursuit of the seal will be the responsibility of the student.
Criteria for the Work Ethics Seal Program are:
- No more than 10 Unexcused Days and no more than 2 unexcused absences the remainder of the school year
- No more than 4 unexcused tardies for the remainder of the school year
- No more than 1 discipline referral/school violation. No board or law violations during the year
- A minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 with no failures in any course credit during the year
Students must also be actively involved in at least two of the following:
- Organized team sport at RCHS
- Extracurricular program (Ex.: Band, JROTC, FCCLA, FFA, UNITE, SKILLS USA, HOSA,)
- Part-time employment working a minimum of 8 hours a week for 2 consecutive months
- Community Service/Volunteer Project
Goals and Action Plan for the Work Ethic Seal Program:
- Increase RCHS graduation rate/decrease dropout rate
- Reduce achievement gaps by motivating students to have better grades, attendance, and behaviors
- Prepare students for school-to-work transition
- Prepare students for the transition for success in the post-secondary environment
- Graduate students with a strong work ethic and confidence to succeed
- Increase awareness of the Work Ethic Seal to our community
- Provide opportunity and advantage for our students over others when seeking employment
- Participation by students is voluntary and their responsibility